XXIV Old Buildings
11, rue du Général-Dufour
CH - 1204, Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 322 2500
Fax: +41 (0)22 322 2515
XXIV Old Buildings
London WC2A 3UP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7691 2424
Fax: +44 (0)870 460 2178
Michael Black QC
Clerks 020 7691 2424
Michael has practiced as an international arbitration lawyer for over 35 years in the UK and in other jurisdictions across the world. For more than 15 years he has regularly received nominations as sole arbitrator, party-appointed arbitrator and chairman under the City Disputes Panel, ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and DIAC Rules as well as under ad hoc procedures.
He has appeared as counsel in several leading English cases concerning arbitration including B v A – whether failure to apply chosen law a “mere error” or procedural irregularity – status of dissenting opinions; Michael Wilson & Partners v Emmott - challenging tribunal’s award as to its substantive jurisdiction - decision on procedural matters; Cetelem SA v Roust Holdings Ltd - whether judge has jurisdiction to make interim mandatory order pending ICC arbitral proceedings - whether court usurping arbitral process; Henry Boot Construction (UK) Limited v Malmaison Hotel (Manchester) Limited - powers of Court of Appeal to review decision of Judge on appeal from arbitrator; Al-Naimi v Islamic Press - duties of judge when considering stay of court proceedings.
Recent and current cases as arbitrator include:
- DIAC – (seat Dubai, UAE law) concerning the cancellation of major project
- ICC – (seat London, Saudi/English Law) concerning commissions in respect of oil exploration contracts
- UNCITRAL – (seat New Delhi, Indian Law) concerning construction management services in relation to construction of oil refinery
- LCIA - (seat London, English Law) concerning the sale and purchase of shares in a Cypriot company dealing in crude oil
- UNCITRAL - (seat London, Zambian Law) concerning supply of electrical equipment
- ICC - (seat London, English law) concerning the production of natural gas.
- ICC - (seat London, UAE law) concerning construction of sporting facilities.
- ICC - (seat London, English law) concerning sale of aircraft.
- Ad hoc - claim concerning insurance of loss of profits of oil refinery in India damaged by cyclone. Indian law, seat Mumbai. Said to be the largest domestic arbitration to take place in India.
- LCIA - dispute between shareholders in and traders on Middle East oil trading market. English law, seat London.
- ICC – 3 arbitrations between government agency and European contractor regarding construction of motorways and national roads. Romanian law, seat Bucharest.
- City Disputes Panel – claim for indemnity against mis-selling by financial institution against agent. English law, seat London.
- ICC - concerning the construction of a power and desalination plant in Middle East by Far East contractor. English law, seat London.
- ICC - dispute between state petroleum corporation and US contractor concerning construction of refinery in Caribbean. English law, seat Caribbean.
- ICC – dispute concerning the management of oil concessions in Nigeria. English law, seat Paris.
- DIAC – dispute concerning architectural and engineering consultancy. UAE law, seat Dubai.
He is recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners in this area and said to be "top of many people's list for international arbitration work". Legal 500 recommends Michael as an "impressive arbitrator". www.whoswholegal.com refers to his "extensive experience in commercial litigation and arbitration disputes related to the construction, energy and funds sectors ... sources consider him a "great name" in London and internationally.
Areas of experience
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of: Swiss Arbitration Association, International Council for Commercial Arbitration, London Court of International Arbitration, Chinese Arbitration Association
- Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators
- Visiting Professor of Construction and Engineering Law, University of Manchester
- ICC UK Committee for Arbitration and ADR (2015)
- ICC Commission Task Force on Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings (2015)
- Deputy High Court Judge, Deputy Judge of the Technology & Construction Court (2009-13)
- Bencher, Middle Temple (2006)
Legal 500 2013 recommends Michael for international arbitration, commercial litigation, banking and finance,company and construction. He is seen as "excellent", a "gifted advocate", an "impressive arbitrator" as well as "a fantastic strategist and a great person to have on, or lead, a team".
Chambers & Partners 2014 recommends him for international arbitration: commercial and insurance and international arbitration: construction and engineering as well as his offshore practice and construction. He is said to be: "a superb and seasoned professional, who has a brilliant legal mind." He is also praised as: "his knowledge of black letter law is second to none, and he always makes time for those that instruct him." "His advice is concise and always spot-on."
Michael is also recommended in Chambers Global 2014 for offshore work. He also appears in the Spotlight Table for Foreign Experts.
VAT number: 305653669
Registered name: Michael Jonathan Black