XXIV Old Buildings
11, rue du Général-Dufour
CH - 1204, Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 322 2500
Fax: +41 (0)22 322 2515
XXIV Old Buildings
London WC2A 3UP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7691 2424
Fax: +44 (0)870 460 2178
Clerks 020 7691 2424
Recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for international arbitration, Ian has experience in both institutional (ICC, LCIA, CCIG, Zurich IAR, GAFTA, Refined Sugar Association, LMAA, etc.) and ad hoc (including UNCITRAL) international arbitrations (in Geneva, Zurich, London and Paris) subject to various procedural and substantive laws as chairman, sole arbitrator, party and court appointed co-arbitrator, and as counsel. Ian is an active member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
His areas of specialisation within this area of practice include commodities, construction law, oil and gas, international joint ventures, commercial contracts, pharmaceutical research and development contracts, international sale of goods, shipping and maritime law, sports law.
Some examples of his recent arbitration work include:
- Federation International d’automobile arbitration between McLaren, BMW and Ferrari (2007).
- FIFA arbitration in relation to allegations of breach of contract and match fixing (2008)
- One of the largest arbitrations ever (over US$ 1 billion) in Zurich concerning the exercise of an option agreement in a telecommunications company and thus the controlling stake in the corporation.
- Arbitration in Geneva under the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration. The dispute concerned a Formula 1 sponsorship agreement.
He also has extensive experience in dispute resolution, international business law, including fraud, and trusts and estates. He is known as an expert in sport law, advising and appearing in sports arbitrations, including the International Court of the Appeal of the FIA (Formula One) as well as FIFA, CAS and other arbitral tribunals.
Ian is based in Geneva where he has practiced for the last eighteen years. He is available for English and off-shore court and advisory work. He accepts instructions both in English and in French.
Areas of experience
Ian is recommended in Chambers and Partners 2014 for International Arbitration, Commercial and Insurance and Sport where he is said to "solution-oriented, efficient and able to deal with the most complex of issues." and to be "a delight to those that instruct him". He is recommended a "serious arbitration practitioner" handling work both as arbitrator and advocate.
He is also recommended in Legal 500 2013 for International Arbitration and Media, Entertainment and Sport.
Ian has taught at the University of Geneva for many years and currently lectures at the University's Graduate Institute on the Master of International Dispute and Settlement (MIDS) programme.
- King’s College, London, 1988
- Inns of Court School of Law, 1991
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn (Karmel Scholar), Call 1991
- Lalive, 1992-1996
- Mégevand Grosjean Revaz, 1996-1998
- Bonnard Lawson, 1998-
- 2 Temple Gardens, 2000-2007
- XXIV Old Buildings, 2007-
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- The Swiss Arbitration Association
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (TEP)
- The London Court of International Arbitration
- The International Court of Arbitration of the ICC
- The Swiss Bar Association (Continuing Legal Education Commission)
- The Athenaeum Club
- English (mother tongue)
- French (fluent)
- Italian (comprehension)
Registered name: Ian Leonard Meakin